The best time to start your bike business was 10 years ago. The 2nd best time is now, to work for yourself and build a better future.
Mobile is a great way to connect with cyclists.
Turn your passion into a business.
Mobile is a low-cost setup and low running costs. Working each day, carrying out small to medium service and repairs gives the business owner good cashflow.
As the high street closes and buying online is the way people shop, mobile mechanics offering a home service is in high demand coupled with a shortage of good mechanics available.
The cycling community needs you!
Fixed Site Business, Mobile or combine the two?
It’s time to find out more about the one that suits your business best.
What you need to start your business:
- Van – The mobile workshop. The size will depend on your operations.
- Tools – Professional set of bicycle tools to carry out every type of job.
- Stock – Carrying the essentials.
- Storage – Kit out a van/mobile workshop.
- Training – Industry-standard and gain the experience required.
- Trade contacts – Network of suppliers and technical support.
- Customers – Advertise your services locally.
- Signwriting – Branding your van.
- Investment – Around £10k – £20k + depending on your outfit.
- Area – You working area, will depend on your location.
Running your business:
- Trade insurance – Public liability.
- Stationery – Invoices, business cards, service check sheets.
- Booking system – Diary, service reminders.
- Expenses – Cashflow.
- Van running costs – Insurance, fuel & servicing.
- Tools & training – ongoing.
Building your business:
- Networking – Join local & national businesses support groups.
- Marketing – Be seen, your van is your biggest marketing tool, next is referrals from customers and from associated network directory of trusted mechanics.
- Learning – Never stop learning.
- Local club – Start your own local weekly ride group.
- Branding – Become recognised.
Don’t be afraid to invest in key equipment
Investing properly in your equipment – for the mobile bicycle mechanic the most important investments are your:
Van, tools & Training. The van needs to be sized and reliable for your operations, carry your tools, spare parts and to decide if you are going to work inside or fit an awning to the outside. Don’t skip over buying quality tools, to the job in hand and that will last your working life. Tools need to fit the parts well and not cause damage. Training is an ongoing investment to keep up with technology and product knowledge. Don’t forget to test out equipment before you hit the road. Set up everything at home to make sure it works, and that you have all the parts and pieces you need. You’ll figure out what, if anything, you can do to make your outfit more efficient and organized for the day to day running of your business.
DIY or join the largest network of mobile bicycle mechanics:
- This will depend on how you want to run and grow your business.
- Running any business is not easy, you need to be the mechanic, the accountant, the manager, controller and dogsbody.
- If you want to be part of a likeminded group of mechanics that support each other with business help, technical support, customer enquires and help more people to cycle then get in touch.
- Email me for an information brochure today firstname.lastname@example.org
Running an independent business is tough, we’re here to make it easier.
Being a Cycle Tech Association member means you’ll have the help you whenever you need it. We’ll save you money, simplify the legal and compliance stuff and you’ll be part of a network of thousands of other like-minded businesses. Wherever you are in your business journey we’re here to help.
Nothing is more expensive than a missed opportunity. These days, finding new customers and retaining the ones you already have is tough. Living in a world where shopping around is common practice, loyalty to one provider is often tested to the max. So, the last thing you want to do is send a customer elsewhere because you can’t provide the right solutions in-house.
We share new ideas and opportunities along with advice and support that mechanics can utilise to help keep their customer’s bicycles up to date, as part of our Network of Mobile Bicycle Mechanic Service offering.
Mobile Services focuses on all the hot topics; From setting up your business to running a sucseful business. Including training, tooling, trade accounts, stock, electric bikes.
And we’re confident our Network will help you tap into additional revenue streams for your workshop, help generate increased customer satisfaction and give you the ability to provide first fix resolutions, every time.
Connecting you to customers and contacts in the trade.
Contact us today about starting a bike business or how your business can benefit from connecting to a network of mobile bicycle mechanics. email@example.com